rovo Poetry announces their third annual poetry contest. The contest is judged by Star Coulbrooke, the Inaugural Poet Laureate of Logan City Utah, founder and coordinator of the Helicon West reading series, and director of the Utah State University Writing Center. Star’s poems are published internationally in journals, magazines, and anthologies. Her most recent poetry collections are Thin Spines of Memory, Both Sides from the Middle, and City of Poetry. The contest is free to enter and offers the following prizes:
- 1st PLACE – $100 cash and an optional feature reading at Speak for Yourself Open Mic at Enliten Bakey and Café in historic downtown Provo
- 2nd PLACE – $50
- 2 HONORABLE MENTIONS: $25 gift certificate for Pioneer Book
- POEMBALLS: All poems entered into the contest will be considered for inclusion in POEMBALL machines in Provo and SLC
Selected poems will be shared in creative ways throughout the Provo and greater Utah County communities. Founded by local poets Trish Hopkinson and Marianne Hales Harding, the main objective of Provo Poetry is to instill the love of poetry within the general community, bring poems to a wider audience, and to support local poets.
Submission guidelines are as follows:
- Poets must have lived or spent significant time in Utah at some point in their lives.
- Poems must be appropriate for a general audience (rated PG).
- Provo Poetry is an all-inclusive community. Do not send poems with topics/speech related to hate, shaming, or cultural appropriation.
- Previously published poems are permitted.
POEM LENGTH: Short poems of about 20 lines or less.
NUMBER OF POEMS: Send up to ten poems. (We prefer a separate attachment for each poem sent in a single email).
SEND TO: ProvoPoetry@gmail.com
JUDGE: Star Coulbrooke – Inaugural Poet Laureate of Logan City, UT
ACCEPTED POEMS: You will be notified via email if your poems are accepted for inclusion in the POEMBALL machines. POEMBALL machines are located at Pioneer Book and Enliten Bakery and Café in downtown Provo, as well as at KRCL 90.9 FM in Salt Lake City. Poets names will be mentioned on the poems.
Distribution methods may vary. No monetary payment will be provided to poets other than the winners as noted, but please know your contribution is important and appreciated!
For more information, contact the Provo Poetry, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official web site: http://provopoetry.org